For the uninitiated, The Banff World Television Festival is more than just the world's most important content creation event.
BWTVF 2007 is: The most important names in the international television industry at intimate networking events within the heart of one of the most beautiful locations imaginable.
And if that is not enough - it's a great place to walk away with a deal or money. We will also have some damn great sessions as well.
Panel Discussions bring together television's most important directors, producers and Commissioning Editors to discuss the key issues facing the industry.
Panelist at 2007 will include:
- Bill Carter, New York Times Columnist and best selling author (Desperate Networks)
- John Doyle, The Globe and Mail Television critic
- Brian Seth Hurst, CEO of The Opportunity Management Company
- Simon Asaad, CEO Heavy Inc.
- Michael Allder, Executive Producer (The Nature of Things)
In Conversation... provides a format for high profile and visionary television creators to be interviewed by equally engaging media personalities. Discover the type of intimate, behind-the-scenes dish you want to know.
BWTVF 2007 In Conversation... sessions will feature:
- Susanne Daniels, President, Entertainment, Lifetime Entertainment Services
- Kevin Maclellan, President of Comcast Entertainment Group, International
- Ben Silverman, Executive Producer (The Office, Ugly Betty) and Founder/Chief Executive Officer, Reveille
Television's most creative and successful reveal their unique creative process and what it takes to make a hit show.
2007 Master Classes will include:
- Mike Clattenberg, Writer, Director and Producer (The Trailer Park Boys)
- Greg Daniels, Executive Producer/ Co-Creator (The Office, King of the Hill)
- Carol Mendelsohn, Executive Producer and Showrunner (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation)
- Antony Thomas, Director (Death of a Princess)
- Rob Thomas, Creator and Executive Producer (Veronica Mars)
Not to be missed! Some of television's most innovative and creative figures delve into their work and strategies to reveal the inner-workings of their process and the TV industry.
BWTVF 2007 will feature "Appointment TV" with . . .
- Wayne Garvie, Director of Content & Production, BBC Television
- Paul Jackson, Director Entertainment & Comedy, ITV plc
- David Lyle, Chief Operating Officer/General Manager, Fox Reality Channel
- Jon Plowman, Head of Comedy, BBC
- Kevin Tierney, Writer/Producer (Bon Cop, Bad Cop)
The Banff World Television Awards
The culmination of our extraordinary and popular program competition, the Banff World Television Awards salutes the very best the medium has to offer with 101 programs across 21 categories.
2007 features the "NHK Prize" given for the best HD international co-production. NHK will sponsor it with a $20,000 (Cdn) cash award.
Watch Entertainment Tonight Canada's Coverage of the Banff World Television Awards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAp8-ae2oHY
C21 Broadcaster Briefings
At these informal sessions scheduled throughout the Festival, Commissioning Editors from major broadcasters will provide insight into their schedules, outline production priorities, discuss potential partnership deals and answer your questions.
Broadcasters will include:
- Astral Media
- CanWest Global
- Corus Entertainment
- Alliance Atlantis
- National Film Board of Canada
Take a Decision Maker to Breakfast/Lunch/Cocktails
A prime opportunity for independent producers to meet with key Commissioning Editors in an intimate and informal setting. These Commissioning Editors are broadcast industry leaders, influential power-brokers who descend on Banff, Canada to discover the freshest, hottest new ideas in television.
Interactive Exchange Sessions
Pitch an idea, download knowledge, and cultivate relationships. These sessions provide the opportunity for one-on-one, pre-scheduled meetings with the digital decision makers and new media mavericks who are leading the charge in transforming the broadcast industry - one downloadable webcast at a time.
Perhaps the chance of a lifetime! You have ten minutes to make an impression. Sit down face-to-face with an international Commissioning Editor. Pitch your project...load on the "WOW"...leave with a deal.
Producers pitch their ideas to an international jury of key decision makers in front of an audience of festival delegates. Which pitch is the most original? What project is the most compelling? Throw large cash prizes into the mix and now we have a competition.
BWTVF 2007 Pitching opportunities will include:
- iPitch - offering a $10,000 award from the Bell Broadcast and New Media Fund to digital producers with a concept for a cross-platform interactive project supporting a television program
- UKTV STYLE Lifestyle Pitch with a £5000 cash prize
- THE N Youth Drama Pitch $10,000 Development prize